Danitza Rodríguez Jiménez
- The term “Latinx” was coined as an inclusive alternative for Latina/o. As shown through these essays, “Latinx environmentalism” encompasses diverse ideas and diverse groups of people. Do you agree with the authors that considering many identities within Latinidad is important environmental thinking? What other groups among Latinxs might be more vulnerable to climate change?
- Why does the intersectionality of gender, sexuality, class status, and race matter when discussing the impacts of environmental degradation?
- When we think of environmental advocacy, we typically think of wilderness. However, this is not the only consideration in environmentalism. According to these essays, what other aspects of our environment and lives should be included in discussing environmentalism?
- What do these essays tell us about the importance of getting involved with environmental activism on an individual level? What about on a collective level?
- What do these essays tell us about the relationship between a person’s or society’s worldview and how we treat our environment?
- White-washing in environmentalism refers to the erasure of the contribution of people of color. How has environmental advocacy been historically white-washed? What do these essays suggest about the consequences of that?
- What does having a ‘decolonized mindset’ towards environmentalism look like? Why do these authors think it is important?
- How does this change the approaches we typically see in mainstream environmentalism to combat environmental degradation?
- Indigenous practices for caring for the Earth are radically different from how society currently treats the world. How might our world look like today if we relied on Indigenous knowledge to a greater extent?
- How does Latinx environmentalism activism differ from activism frequently used in the United States?
- How does Latinx literature and art teach us about environmentalism?
- Why is listening to the voices and ideas of women important when discussing environmentalism and ways to fight environmental deterioration?