Jump to Tips for Instructors
This module, Dini Afrika ya Mashariki (Religion in East Africa), is designed to help you reach the Advanced Low level of Swahili proficiency on the ACTFL scale. The units are focused on conversations, interviewing, and reading skills and the content is focused on religions, including Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, and traditional religions.
By the end of this module, you should be able to check off the following can-do statements. After each one is a link to the activity or activities that focus on that objective.
- I can participate in conversations on a wide variety of topics that go beyond my everyday life: Conversations about Religion
- I can conduct or participate in interviews: Interviewing about Religion
- I can deliver a short presentation on social and cultural topics: Religious Metadiscourse
- I can meet basic school and academic writing needs: Warming up to Interviewing
- I can meet basic work and career writing needs: Warming up to Conversations about Religion
- I can understand spoken descriptions and stories of events that have happened or will happen: Warming up to Interviewing / Primary Source Texts
- I can find and use information for practical purposes: Warming up to Conversations about Religion / Interviewing about Religion: Warm up / The Qur’an / Primary Source Texts
- I can read texts that compare and contrast information: Warming up to Conversations about Religion / The Qur’an / Primary Source Texts
- I can follow simple written instructions: Religious Metadiscourse
At the Advanced Low level of proficiency, learners are also expected to be able to function at the Advanced-Mid level much of the time. This means that, after completing this module, you may not be able to check off the following objectives, but you will be well on your way toward doing so:
- I can communicate effectively about a wide variety of present, past, and future events: Conversations about Religion
- I can exchange general information on topics outside my fields of interest: Conversations about Religion
- I can understand spoken accounts of events: Warming up to Interviewing
- I can write well organized texts for a variety of academic purposes: Warming up to Interviewing / Insha ya Kujumlisha Ulichojifunza
- I can follow the general ideas and some details of what is written in a variety of stories and autobiographical accounts: Warming up to Conversations about Religion / Primary Source Texts
- I can understand written messages on a wide variety of past, present, and future events: Warming up to Conversations about Religion
Creating a Portfolio
As you use this module, keep copies of your work and/or take notes on what you can do that supplies evidence that you have acheived each of the can-do statements. At the end of the module, you will have a portfolio to demonstrate (to yourself, your instructor, and/or others) which can-do statements you have acheived.