Congratulations! You have completed Lesson 2.
1. Watch a film about Peter the Great and discuss it with your classmates. Some examples: «Петр I» (Peter the First), «Сказ про то, как царь Петр арапа женил» (How Czar Peter the Great Married Off His Moor), «Юность Петра» (The Youth of Peter the Great), «Русский ковчег» (Russian Ark).
2. Find out about an event or development of Peter’s reign and write a report or give a presentation about how it affected Peter or Russian society in general. Some examples: the introduction of the Table of Ranks (Табель о рангах), Peter’s secularization of the church, Peter’s relationship with his son Aleksei.
3. Look through the lesson to find other visual representations of Peter the Great. Write an essay comparing two or more of them, making an argument about what the artist’s message about Peter was. Do research about the artist and the work.
4. Read a work of Russian literature that includes Peter the Great as a character and write an essay about how he is represented. Some examples: «Полтава» А. С. Пушкина, «Арап Петра Великого» А. С. Пушкина, «Петр и Алексей» Д. Мережковского, «Петр I» А. Толстого.
5. Read more of the works of Russian literature from the page «Наследие Петра: Петербург», and write an essay about or discuss in class the following: how do the works about St. Petersburg or set in St. Petersburg reflect the legacy of Peter the Great? What positive features are attributed to the city and to its founder, and what negative?