Descending motor pathways consist of medial and lateral systems. After a brief overview, this module focuses on major components of the medial system of descending motor pathways.
After completing this module, you will be able to:
- Articulate the anatomical and functional organization of motor neuronal pools in the spinal cord.
- Explain the principles of organization of descending motor pathways.
- Compare and contrast medial and lateral descending motor systems in terms of sources of origin, spinal projections and terminations, and behavioral deficits following lesions.
- Explain structure and function of the semicircular canals and otolith receptors.
- Describe the role of the vestibular system in control of posture, balance, and eye movements.
- Summarize structure and function of circuitry involved in control of locomotion.
- Summarize structure and function of circuitry involved in control of eye movements.