Part 5: Spring 2017 Labs
65 Canvas Quizzing and Surveys with John Parrish — 03.17.2017
The March 17, 2017 Active Teaching Lab explored the use of quizzing and surveys in Canvas. John Parrish shared how he uses surveys to get to know his students.
- Consider creating an ungraded Canvas quiz at the beginning of the semester to collect information about your students — what they know, where they are from, major, what they are hoping to learn, etc.
- Analytics can show you which questions are more challenging.
- As you design your questions and time limits, remember to design multiple ways for learners to express what they know.
- To randomize quiz questions, create a “question group” in your quiz and choose how many of those questions you would like to appear randomly for the students.
- View the session’s activity sheet for additional support materials.
Active Teaching Labs are held every Friday from 8:45-9:45am (and every other Monday from 12:30pm-1:30pm, see events calendar for dates) in room 120, Middleton Building. Check out upcoming labs or read recaps from past labs — or see them all (bit.ly/ATL-ejournal). To stay informed about upcoming Labs, check back to this website or sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch John’s Story:
Watch the discussion that followed: