Part 5: Spring 2017 Labs
The March 17, 2017 Active Teaching Lab explored the use of quizzing and surveys in Canvas. John Parrish shared how he uses surveys to get to know his students.
- Consider creating an ungraded Canvas quiz at the beginning of the semester to collect information about your students — what they know, where they are from, major, what they are hoping to learn, etc.
- Analytics can show you which questions are more challenging.
- As you design your questions and time limits, remember to design multiple ways for learners to express what they know.
- To randomize quiz questions, create a “question group” in your quiz and choose how many of those questions you would like to appear randomly for the students.
- View the session’s activity sheet for additional support materials.
Active Teaching Labs are held every Friday from 8:45-9:45am (and every other Monday from 12:30pm-1:30pm, see events calendar for dates) in room 120, Middleton Building. Check out upcoming labs or read recaps from past labs — or see them all (bit.ly/ATL-ejournal). To stay informed about upcoming Labs, check back to this website or sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to email@example.com.
Watch John’s Story:
Watch the discussion that followed: