Part 7: Spring 2018 Labs
In the March 22, 2018 Active Teaching Exchange, Kristi Slack discussed the motivations and challenges of sharing and learning teaching scholarship that led to Prof2Prof.com, a cloud-based platform for higher education instructors to share tools, strategies, and resources. Prof2Prof.com facilitates collaboration across disciplines and institutions to reduce the time required to find high-quality teaching resources developed by academic professionals.
- The pressure on instructors to create higher-production value teaching materials and the information overload experienced in searching for online resources spurred the creation of Prof2Prof as a resource for finding quality materials from a trusted network.
- The currency in higher education isn’t necessarily money but recognition. Prof2Prof encourages academics to share teaching resources while facilitating referencing and citation in the exchange.
- The Prof2Prof feedback feature provides users with a multi-perspective look at alternative approaches for using materials.
- Prof2Prof is first about the person, then the academic products. This distinction places priority on interdisciplinary networking that can broaden understanding of a field beyond the confines of a single department. It also provides members a place to showcase work that lies outside their job description.
- Each member decides what is shared, how much is shared, and with whom it is shared, giving users more control over their intellectual property.
For more on materials-sharing resources for teachers, see the Exchange Notes from the session.
Like the Active Teaching Exchanges, Active Teaching Labs feature instructors sharing their teaching experiences with tools and techniques, but also provide time for hands-on exploration of tools. Labs are are held Fridays from 8:30-9:45am in room 120, Middleton Building as well as some Wednesdays from 12:30-1:30pm in room 302 Middleton Building. See the full calendar of both events. Stay informed about upcoming Labs and Exchanges by signing up for regular announcements by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.