Part 6: Fall 2017 Labs
82 Feedback Manager Challenge with David Abbott and Amy Moser — 10.20.2017
In the October 20, 2017 Active Teaching Lab, David Abbott and Amy Moser shared how they give detailed assignment feedback easily.
UW-Madison’s custom-developed Moodle’s Feedback Manager saved graders time by offering blocks of assignment/exam feedback text based on the most common mistakes the class made. During the Lab, Abbott and Moser discussed how they worked with the university to adapt Moodle’s Feedback Manager to fulfill their feedback-giving wish list. Participants then brainstormed similar workarounds available for Canvas.
- Participants put their heads together to brainstorm Canvas-compatible solutions to giving feedback that allows:
- Students to respond to questions in table-style fields
- Instructors to see TA grading (and provide feedback to TAs) in real time
- Grading by question (e.g. all responses to #1) rather than by student to promote consistency
- Creating personalized feedback for students using a bank of comments.
Test drive some possible solutions by working through the Lab’s activity sheet, and follow along with the presenters’ slides.
Active Teaching Labs are held Fridays from 8:30-9:45am (and every other Thursday from 1-2pm, see events calendar for dates) in room 120, Middleton Building. Check out upcoming labs or read recaps from past labs. To stay informed about upcoming Labs, sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to email@example.com.
Watch Amy and David’s Stories
Check out what feedback you can currently give with Canvas Speedgrader: