Part 5: Spring 2017 Labs
The March 31, 2017 Active Teaching Lab explored the syllabus and calendar tools in Canvas. Charles Dill shared how he links all aspects of the course — activities, assignments, quizzes — directly in the syllabus and calendar, so students need only go to one or two places to access everything in the course.
- His aha moment was realizing the benefits of removing the extraneous options in the Navigation menu.
- He distinguishes between general assignments for all and assignments that only the Comm B students need to do with the prefixes GA and CB
- He links to separate syllabi for General students and Comm B students
- Students can get to the assignments from the Calendar or from Modules
- He also has a separate course schedule Page that links to the assignments, readings, videos, etc. in more context
- The multiple “wayfinding paths” to get to the content is a good example of Universal Design for Learning
- View the session’s activity sheet for additional support materials
Active Teaching Labs are held every Friday from 8:45-9:45am (and every other Monday from 12:30pm-1:30pm, see events calendar for dates) in room 120, Middleton Building. Check out upcoming labs or read recaps from past labs — or see them all (bit.ly/ATL-ejournal). To stay informed about upcoming Labs, check back to this website or sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to email@example.com.
Watch Charles’s Story:
Watch the discussion that followed:
Get Started with Syllabus and Calendar in Canvas: