Part 5: Spring 2017 Labs
59 Navigation Solutions with Greg Downey — 02.17.2017
The February 17, 2017 Active Teaching Lab explored navigation and scheduling strategies in Canvas. Greg Downey shared how he helped his students stay on track.
- A “splash page” as a homepage provides quick facts about the course with fun hooks and inviting images/fun optional videos/articles.
- Co-teachers can upload content for other teachers in the course and keep content unpublished for students.
- Simplicity in assignment design keeps it clear for students (e.g. every assignment worth the same number of points).
- Students use the calendar, so it’s important to plug assignments, discussions & lectures into calendar.
- View the session’s activity sheet for additional support materials.
Active Teaching Labs are held every Friday from 8:45-9:45am (and every other Monday from 12:30pm-1:30pm, see events calendar for dates) in room 120, Middleton Building. Check out the upcoming labs or read the recaps from past labs — or see them all in one place in our new Active Teaching Lab eJournal (bit.ly/ATL-ejournal). To stay informed about upcoming Labs, check back to this website or sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to email@example.com.
UW-Madison is transitioning to Canvas as a single, centrally supported LMS, and will discontinue support for D2L and Moodle by 2018. Visit canvasinfo.wisc.edu for information and resources.
Watch Greg’s story:
Want to learn more? Watch the discussion: