Part 5: Spring 2017 Labs
The April 28, 2017 Active Teaching Lab explored feedback tools in Canvas. Laura Grossenbacher discussed her experience using the Canvas SpeedGrader tool to give feedback to her students.
- Laura is a big believer in Canvas (just don’t start 4 days before the course! Build it over the summer.)
- Be incremental. Take small steps and take notes. Don’t try too many things all at once.
- Canvas requires point-based grading (be difficult to translate from some teaching philosophies and assessment styles).
- Mute the grade assignment until you’re all done grading (hard to find — mouse over a blank space for a dropdown menu). Don’t “Save and Submit” unless it’s muted. Unmuting will release all grades for that assignment at the same time.
- Her course works thematically rather than week-by-week
- View the session’s activity sheet for additional support materials
Check out upcoming labs or read recaps from past labs — or see them all (bit.ly/ATL-ejournal). To stay informed about upcoming Labs, check back to this website or sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Watch Laura’s Story:
Watch the discussion that followed:
Get started with SpeedGrader in Canvas: