Part 5: Spring 2017 Labs
72 Canvas SpeedGrader with Laura Grossenbacher — 04.28.2017
The April 28, 2017 Active Teaching Lab explored feedback tools in Canvas. Laura Grossenbacher discussed her experience using the Canvas SpeedGrader tool to give feedback to her students.
- Laura is a big believer in Canvas (just don’t start 4 days before the course! Build it over the summer.)
- Be incremental. Take small steps and take notes. Don’t try too many things all at once.
- Canvas requires point-based grading (be difficult to translate from some teaching philosophies and assessment styles).
- Mute the grade assignment until you’re all done grading (hard to find — mouse over a blank space for a dropdown menu). Don’t “Save and Submit” unless it’s muted. Unmuting will release all grades for that assignment at the same time.
- Her course works thematically rather than week-by-week
- View the session’s activity sheet for additional support materials
Check out upcoming labs or read recaps from past labs — or see them all (bit.ly/ATL-ejournal). To stay informed about upcoming Labs, check back to this website or sign up for regular announcements by sending an email to email@example.com.
Watch Laura’s Story:
Watch the discussion that followed:
Get started with SpeedGrader in Canvas: