Refer to the general guidelines for Mini Lab Reports on Canvas, found here (link opens in a new tab): Mini Lab Report Guidelines
Since you have written a couple methods sections, we will now leave it up to you to decide what is important to include. A few general reminders:
- Someone with a scientific background should be able to repeat your experiment by reading your Methods section
- You do not need to include detailed protocols
- Avoid volumes as much as possible; however, note that this may not always be possible
Include the following:
- Gel of the restriction digest screen, appropriately labeled. Remember a good figure legend.
- Analyze the gel by describing all the samples and comparing the lanes to one another (particularly to the controls)
- State how many of the colonies from your cloning were positive and how you know
Note: in this discussion, you will discuss the success of the cloning experiment overall, which covers labs 2, 4, and 5. You may refer to these previous labs in this Discussion.
- Start the discussion by briefly summarizing the goal of the experiment and your results.
- What steps of the cloning procedure may have increased the likelihood of obtaining a positive clone? (Think through the experimental process from all three labs. Name 2-3 specific steps that were specifically designed to increase the chances of getting a positive clone.)
- If any of your clones were negative or could not be determined based on the gel, state the size of the observed DNA band(s) and explain what you think it could be.
- What would you do to improve the overall cloning strategy, so that you could obtain more positives, and/or a higher percent of positives? (Think of steps that could be further optimized or additional steps that could be added to the protocol. Give 2-3 suggestions for full credit.)