Lab 9: LAB ASSIGNMENTS
Upload a photo of your completed at-home experiment.
For each condition you tested in the at-home experiment, did you observe protein denaturation? If yes, what caused the denaturation at the molecular level? If no, why not?
Describe another method for denaturing proteins in egg whites. What causes the denaturation in this case?
Can you re-fold proteins that have been denatured? Summarize what you learned from the video “how to unboil an egg.”
What experiment with HCAII are we simulating this week? What is the purpose of that experiment? (Provide 2-3 sentences).
- After joining BBCU, you and your partner will join a breakout room.
- Your TAs will provide you a link to a Google doc. You and your partner will work together to complete it. You will:
- Discuss the at-home experiment and compare/contrast with the HCAII experiment
- Answer several questions about the HCAII experiment procedure
- Analyze the tryptophan residues in HCAII and how they affect the experiment
- Create a detailed plan for setting up the HCAII experiment. There will be a video that helps walk through the experimental planning process.
- Meet with your TAs to discuss. They will provide you with the results of the experiment from the plate reader (it will be an Excel file).
- You are welcome to use any remaining in-lab time to work on the data analysis.
- Throughout the lab time, TAs can be available for questions, and will circulate to check in on each group at least once.
- Complete the lab/partner/self evaluation Google form.
- Get a sharable link to your Google doc and submit to Canvas.