- Bell, J., & Winterton, M. (2013). Malagasy–English phrasebook & dictionary =: Rakibolana Malagasy–Anglisy : English–Malagasy & Malagasy English, with over 16,000 entries and regional dialects. [Antananarivo]: Trano Printy Fiangonana Loterana Malagasy.Despite the name, this is more of a dictionary than a phrasebook (the latter is a short section at the back). While one of the best and most recent English-Malagasy dictionaries, there are many definitions that run contrary to their usage in Standard Malagasy; words from regional dialects are not clearly identified, which may cause confusion in the Tana region.
This book can be difficult to order; if not available, see de La Beaujardière (2022).
- Cousins, G. (1960). Gramera malagasy. Tananarive: Librairie Protestante Imarivolanitra.This grammar guide is not of direct use to Malagasy learners, being written in the Malagasy language. However, it does have some helpful explanations for Malagasy teachers.
- Rakotovao, A. (1976). Vocabulaire français-malagasy : mots juridiques et techniques avec des exemples = Rakibolana Frantsay-Malagasy : teny fampiasa amin’ny fitsarana misy ohatra. [Antananarivo]: Université de Madagascar, Établissement d’enseignement supérieur de droit, d’économie, de gestion, et de sociologie, Filière magistrature.For French-language speakers engaged in contracts law in Malagasy, this pseudo-dictionary provides a useful guide to relevant terminology to use in a justice system that mixes both languages.
- iLanguages.org. (n.d.). Malagasy phrases. http://ilanguages.org/malagasy_phrases.phpWhile limited in scope, this website serves as an online phrasebook, including some audio samples of common phrases to assist with learning pronunciation.
- de La Beaujardière, J-M. (2022). Malagasy dictionary and encyclopedia of Madagascar. https://en.mondemalgache.org/bins/homePage
Although this looks somewhat antiquated, this online resource includes a search tool drawing on multiple Malagasy dictionaries and sample quotations. Includes dialect-sorted word lists, grammatical breakdowns, bibliographies, and more.