Nepali Language Resources
- Bal, B. K., & Pustakalaya, M. P. (2004). Structure of Nepali Grammar. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/237261579_Structure_of_Nepali_Grammar
Very good overview of Nepali grammar and usage for language learners who have already been exposed to Nepali language.
- Genetti, Carol. (1994). Aspects of Nepali Grammar. Department of Linguistics: University of California Santa Barbara, 6. https://www.linguistics.ucsb.edu/sites/secure.lsit.ucsb.edu.ling.d7/files/sitefiles/research/papers/Working%20Papers%20Vol%206.pdf
Good historical overview of Nepali language, then does a deep dive into the aspects of Nepali grammar. Definitely helpful for beginner/intermediate, probably should have had prior experience with the language to understand the explanations of pronunciation since there is no accompanying audio.
- Nissim. (2013, February). Nepalgo. https://nepalgo.de/.
- Nepalgo is a website created by a native Nepali speaker from Kathmandu dedicated to Nepali language. This website offers free access to lessons that range from beginner to advanced to help in learning Nepali.
- Cornell University Nepali-English & English-Nepali Glossary
A Cornell University resource written in both Devanagari and Roman English. This is a useful informal dictionary but not entirely well organized so you may have to use a lot of “command+F” to find your term!
- Adhikary, K.R., (4th Ed. 2014), Concise English-Nepali & Nepali-English Dictionary with Transliteration. Educational Publishing House.
- An extensive English-Nepali & Nepali-English dictionary which offers transliteration to help learners pronounce words.
- Kathmandu Post/Kantipur Daily Newspaper https://ekantipur.com/
Delivers news stories from Nepal in both Nepali and English.
Book & Audio
- Live Lingua-Online Language. (2008- 2021). Learn Nepali: Free Nepali Courses Online | Live Lingua Project. Live Lingua. https://www.livelingua.com/project/peace-corps/nepali
- Basic Course in Spoken Nepali (e-book): https://www.livelingua.com/peace-corps/Nepali/Basic-Course-in-Spoken-Nepali.pdf
- Basic Course in Spoken Nepali 1: https://www.livelingua.com/course/peace_corps/basic_course_in_spoken_nepali (See link to audio file at the bottom of the webpage)
- Basic Course in Spoken Nepali 2: https://www.livelingua.com/course/peace_corps/basic_course_in_spoken_nepali (See link to audio file at the bottom of the webpage)
- Watters, Daniel P. Nepali in Context : a Topical Approach to Learning Nepali. Kathmandu :Ekta Books, 2000.
- A Nepali language learning textbook ranging from beginner to advanced. This text teaches Nepali in a more colloquial form and provides cultural and historical insights throughout.
- Nepali: A Beginner’s Primer Conversation and Grammar (3rd ed., 2004) 225 pages, by Banu Oja and Shambhu Oja, — Cornell University Press
- http://www.digitalhimalaya.com/projectteam/turin/downloads/nepali_primer.pdf Textbook introduces students to Nepali language through 16 lessons. This textbook was created by longtime Cornell University faculty Banu and Shambhu Oja who also taught Nepali to US Peace Corps volunteers in Nepal.
- https://travelandcommunication.com/nepa … 0Audio.rar (audio guide)
- Intermediate and Advanced Nepali: Reading and Grammatical Structures (2013), 206 pages, by Banu Oja and Shambhu Oja, — Cornell University Press
- The texts in this reader are recognizable as traditional stories from Nepal and from similar stories recounted around the world. This textbook is intended to assist intermediate and advanced students to learn grammatical structures through pedagogically constructed readings of these stories.