Talking about Ẹkọ́-ilé ati Ẹkọ́-ita
This Yoruba language learning activity aims to educate participants about good manners at home and in society while enhancing their Yoruba language skills.
1. YouTube video: “Máṣe ṣe ìdọ̀tí sílẹ̀ – Do not litter on the ground” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNXYl2lJAt8
2. Textbook: Jẹ K’a Ka Yoruba
1. Read the passage on Page 119-120 in Jẹ K’a Ka Yoruba. Note down unfamiliar Yoruba phrases related to home education. Examples:
Ìwà itiju (a shameful attitude)
ará ita (outsider)
ṣe akitiyan lati (make efforts to…)
Kìí ṣe xxx nikan ni somebody gbọ́dọ̀ ki (It is not only xxx that somebody must greet)
ìbá ṣe (whether)
iwa ibajẹ́(bad attitude)
2. Discuss specific examples of good manners at home, such as greeting elders and table manners.
3. Watch the Youtube video “Máṣe ṣe ìdọ̀tí sílẹ̀ – Do not litter on the ground”.
4. Note down new expressions from the video. Examples:
igo ofifo (empty bottle)
ṣé idọti (litter [v.])
àpò idọti (trash can)
Ọjuṣe gbogbo wa ni lati (It’s our responsibility to do…)
fọ ilu Ekó mọ (keep Lagos clean)
ẹni ọ̀wọ̀ ni mi (I am a person of honor)
Mo ṣé ileri lati.. (I promise to…)
5. Talk about good manners in social settings, such as public places, schools, and gatherings. (Maṣe pariwo; Maṣe jagun, etc.) Try to use learnt expressions to make new sentences.